Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Movie Monday: Arthur//New vs. Old

Ok, yes I am doing Movie Monday on a Tuesday.  But I have fallen way, way behind on my posting this week for various reasons and I have watched so many great movies lately that I might just do Movie Monday TWICE this week... you never know!


Anyways, I'm sure that all of you have at least seen one or two trailers for the new-ish movie, "Arthur", starring Russel Brand.   But, I bet that some of you didn't know that this movie is actually a remake of the original "Arthur" which came out in 1981.  The original version featured Dudley Moore as the leading man and Liza Minnelli as the leading lady.


In both versions, the story line is virtually identical.  Arthur is a fabulously wealthy alcoholic who funds his childish antics with his father's (1981) or mother's (2011) money.  One day, Arthur meets a quirky, penniless young woman named Linda (1981) or Naomi (2011) who lives with and cares for her unemployed father by way of stealing (1981) or running an illegal tour guide service (2011).  Arthur uses his wealth and reputation to save the young lady from being arrested by pretending to be her boyfriend/fiancee.  At some point during this fiasco, Arthur falls in love with Linda/Naomi.  


Shortly thereafter, Arthur's father/mother declares that he must marry Susan Johnson, the slightly less wealthy daughter of a.... construction guy?  I honestly can't remember what Susan's parents do but I don't really feel like looking it up right now.  Anyways, hilarity ensues while Arthur struggles to make the decision between love and money.  I won't tell you what happens in the end because you should go watch them yourself but click on down to see what I thought of the movies.


                      Old Arthur:                                  Vs.                         New Arthur:


























Ok, here we go.  I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.  I liked the new version better.  Does that make me a bad 'vintage lover'?  Despite its less than stellar critical reviews, in my opinion, "Arthur" 2011 had better character development than the 1981 version and (also just my own humble opinion) was funnier.  I honestly felt like, at the end of "Arthur" 1981, I hardly knew any of the characters at all.  2011's Arthur, Hobson, Bitterman, Naomi (rather than Linda), Susan, and Susan's dad were all significantly more personable than 1981's.  Don't get me wrong, both movies were good and I definitely suggest watching the 1981 version so that you understand the origins of the 2011 version better.  


If you do happen to watch one or both versions of Arthur, I would love to hear your opinion of them, whether or not it agrees with mine.


As always, have a lovely day


Love,


Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment